Monday, June 27, 2011

Gardens update

 Alright, so here it is the end of June and I am woefully behind and really seriously slacking in the garden dept.  This is a picture of the garden at this moment - in DESPERATE need of some weeding!  Did I mention that we moved to a brand new spot and hubby wanted a "traditional row garden"?  I *really* prefer my square foot/ lasagna bed garden - so much easier!  Things are growing in here, among the weeds.  We have harvested some peas, lettuce and cucumbers.  There are onions, carrots, beets, peppers, chard, collards, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprout, kale, beans, lots of squash, and pumpkin.  The corn didn't really come up and the chickens found their way back in - their favorite dust bathing spot is where we planted the corn, so that's a lost cause.  The 30 tomato plants that we planted from seed?  Well, about 3 of them came up.  So, I bought 6 plants at Lowe's and then found a lady on craigslist selling tomato plants for $2 each.  She had sold most of them but had some left and said I could just have them for free since they were getting straggly being in containers so long.  So, I picked up 20 free tomato plants!  :-)  I now have 24 plants in the ground doing well and probably at least 18 different varieties - which is tons of fun!  Below are pics of the peas, apples, and the fig tree so far this year.  I have also harvested some asparagus, and rhubarb and very soon will be picking lots of wild and domestic blackberries.


No comments:

Post a Comment